Sunday, July 29, 2007

January 7, 2007 Cabbage Roll Casserole

Easy Tastebud Delights
Eighth Edition (January 7, 2007)
Easy Recipes
45 minutes+

Hi everyone and Happy Ukranian Christmas!

A friend of mine is Ukranian and has been giving me some Ukranian food translations that I will share with you.

She provides the BEST varenyky at Christmas time, (Ukranian perogies. Perogies are the polish name for these tasty little dumplings),
I've ever tasted. My favourite are the ground beef, (petaja), my Mom used to make batches and batches of these with a polish friend of hers when I was a kid until Dad had heartburn so bad after eating them that he thought he was having a heart attack! Then the batches got smaller and smaller (I was about 12). The sauerkraut ones are also amazing! Roma informed me that Kapusta in Ukranian means cabbage. My response was: Kapusta YUM! She got a good giggle over that and informed me that another batch of kapusta would be heading my way after Ukranian Christmas!! YEAH!!!!!

Enough on the language lesson! LOL!

Today, I will share a recipe that I LOVE making. I've always loved cabbage rolls but just don't like taking the time to fiddle with the cabbage leaves. Here's a recipe that tastes like cabbage rolls without all the fuss:

Cabbage Roll Casserole

1 lb. hamburger
1 tbsp. oil
1 onion; sliced thin
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup cooked rice, (I use Minute Rice!)
1 can Tomato soup; 10 oz
1 can -Water
3 cups shredded cabbage

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In large frypan, brown meat in oil for few minutes. add onion, salt and pepper. Drain and set aside. Add rice, mix well. Add soup and water. Put cabbage in baking dish, layer with rice and soup then continue until pan is full. Bake in 325F oven for 1 hour, uncovered.

If you have a food processor, grating the cabbage is much easier with the slicing blade. Serve with sour cream. Hubby enjoys this with salsa and I like both sour cream and salsa.

Serves 4

------------
If you have any comments or suggestions, you can send me an email with Newsletter in the Subject Line.
Be sure to visit my website .