Sunday, July 29, 2007

January 3, 2007 Pepper Steak with Rice

Easy Tastebud Delights
Fourth Edition (January 3, 2007)
Easy Recipes
45 minutes+


Hi Everyone! We've made it to the midweek point. Today's meal is Pepper Steak with Rice. This is one of my favourite meals from Mom's cookbook, it is similar to a stew with less time but also very close to a stirfry in flavour. I've made this with beef and also pork chop strips. I also plan to try it with skinless, boneless chicken thighs in the future. Once I mastered the sauce, I decided that I would never buy packaged stirfry sauce mixes, that making my own is actually easier and not as salty. Instead of soya sauce, I added bottled teriyaki sauce, but that's just a personal preference.

Here's the recipe:

Pepper Steak with Rice

3 cups hot cooked rice
1 pound lean beef, round steak, cut 1/2 inches thick
1 tbsp. Paprika with fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp. vegetable oil
2 cloves crushed garlic or 1 tsp. minced garlic from a jar
1-1/2 cups beef broth
1 medium onion, sliced
2 green peppers, cut in strips
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/4 cups soya or teriyaki sauce
2 large fresh tomatoes, cut in eighths

While rice is cooking, pound steak to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into 1/4 inch strips. Sprinkle meat with paprika and black pepper. Allow to stand while preparing other ingredients. Using a large skillet, brown meat in vegetable oil. Add garlic and broth. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in onions and green pepper. Cover and cook 5 minutes more. Blend cornstarch, water and soya sauce. Stir into meat mixture. Cook, stirring until clear and thickened, about 2 minutes. Add tomato and stir gently. Serve over beds of fluffy rice. Serves 6.

In memory of Eloda Berkin


For a smooth sauce, mix the soya, or teriyaki sauce with COLD water in a small bottle with a tight fitting lid then add the cornstarch and shake the jar well...I usually hand the jar to my 10 year old and tell him to shake it while I bring up the temperature of the pan.

Thank you to everyone who have emailed me with comments about the newsletter. If you like the newsletter pass it on to someone you think will enjoy it.

Tomorrow, we will be cooking skinless boneless chicken breast, so if it is in the freezer, you may want to take it out now and put it in the fridge to defrost.
------------
If you have any comments or suggestions, you can send me an email at lotsarecipes@gmail.com with Newsletter in the Subject Line.

Be sure to visit my website .