Sunday, July 29, 2007

January 10, 2007 Shpherd's Pie

Easy Tastebud Delights
Eleventh Edition (January 10, 2007)
Easy Recipes
45 minutes+

Hi Everyone! Today I'm going to share a recipe that I've been making for about 8 years now. I usually prefer to add salsa instead of canned tomatoes in the meat and veggie layer and although I like regular mashed potatoes for the topper, they do take alot of time. If I am terribly rushed I will use the instant mashed potato flakes and top with grated cheese, or stove top stuffing without cheese.

Shepherd's Pie


Meat Mixture

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1/2-3/4 tsp. minced garlic or 2 cloves
dash worchestershire sauce
1 can stems and pieces mushrooms, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can beef broth
pepper

Vegetable Layer

2 cups mixed diced vegetables, (peas, carrots, corn)
1 onion, chopped
dash worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
pepper

Potato Topping
2 packages instant mashed potatoes
1 cup grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese
pepper
garlic (optional)

Preheat oven to 350*.
Brown ground beef with onions, garlic, worchestershire sauce and pepper. Drain and return to pan. Add mushrooms and tomatoes and bring to boil. Add broth and simmer for 15 min. I've also substituted salsa for diced tomatoes.

Add onion and garlic to vegetables and defrost in the microwave for 5 min. stirring every 2 min. or so. Add pepper and mix.

Layer meat, vegetable and potato layers in 9x13 in. pan. Cook for 20 min. Add mozzarella or cheddar cheese and broil until brown and bubbly. Let stand up to 10 min. before serving.


------------
If you have any comments or suggestions, you can send me an email with Newsletter in the Subject Line.

Be sure to visit my website .