Wednesday, July 25, 2007

February 5, 2007 Jackie M's Homemade Baked Macaroni & Cheese or Jackie's Mackie

Easy Tastebud Delights
2.05 Edition (February 5, 2007)
Easy Recipes
45 minutes+

Hi Everyone! Today I will share a recipe that I've been making for a couple years now, shared by my friend Jackie. I call it Jackie's Mackie! Thanks Jackie!


Jackie M's Homemade Baked Macaroni & Cheese or Jackie's Mackie

My kids are 'okay' with boxed macaroni & cheese, but when I make my homemade version, I'm guaranteed that there won't be any left over (unless I double the recipe!).

2 tbsp. corn starch
1 tsp. salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (this is optional, but it adds great flavor) (you can even use some regular dijon-style already prepared mustard)
1/4 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
2 1/2 cups milk
2 tbsp. margarine or butter
4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese (about one cup)
4 oz. shredded Colby-Jack, Monterey Jack, or your other favorite cheese
8-12 oz. (one package) Elbow macaroni (or ribbed Ziti -- my kids' favorite! It holds the cheese to the pasta much better!)
-- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain well --

In a medium saucepan combine the cornstarch, salt, the mustard, and pepper; stir in milk until smooth (I find using a wire whisk does this the best). Add butter/margarine. Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium-high heat for about one minute. Remove from heat. Stir in cheeses until melted reserving about 1/4 cup cheese for topping. Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole and pour in cheese mixture. Add pasta. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered in 375 degree (F) oven for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. This will make about 6 servings.

Submitted by Jackie M.

-------

If you have any comments or suggestions, you can send me an email with Newsletter in the Subject Line.

Be sure to visit my website .

No comments: