Wednesday, July 25, 2007

February 12, 2007 Southern Buttermilk Fried Chicken

Easy Tastebud Delights
Edition (January , 2007)
Easy Recipes
45 minutes+

Hi Everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I spent the weekend searching out some of my archived recipes, so I will have some new ones to share with you.

Before I forget, it was brought to my attention that the recipe I shared on Friday has a typo in it. The Tuna Noodle Casserole called for 14 oz. can of tuna...that should read 1-4 oz. can instead. Thanks Deb!!

I love Fried Chicken and plan to try this one within the next week or so. Enjoy!

Southern Buttermilk Fried Chicken

Yield: Makes 4 servings

2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons celery salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1-3/4 cups buttermilk
2 cups vegetable oil
3 pounds chicken pieces

1. Combine flour, celery salt, thyme, pepper and marjoram in shallow bowl. Pour buttermilk into medium bowl.
2. Heat oil in heavy, deep skillet over medium heat until oil reaches 350°F on deep-fat thermometer.
3. Dip chicken in buttermilk, one piece at a time; shake off excess. Coat with flour mixture; shake off excess. Dip again in buttermilk and coat once more with flour mixture. Fry chicken, skin side down, 10 to 12 minutes or until browned. Turn and fry 12 to 14 minutes or until cooked through (170°F for breast meat; 180°F for dark meat). Drain on paper towels; repeat with remaining chicken.

Tip: Carefully monitor the temperature of the vegetable oil during cooking. It should not drop below 325°F or go higher than 350°F. Chicken may also be cooked in a deep fryer following the manufacturer's directions. Never leave hot oil unattended.

-------

If you have any comments or suggestions, you can send me an email with Newsletter in the Subject Line.

Be sure to visit my website .

No comments: