Sunday, February 10, 2008

February 6, 2008 Special Fun Breakfast Edition #1

Easy Tastebud Delights
02.06.08 Edition (February 6, 2008)
Easy Recipes
45 minutes+

Hi Everyone! Here we are midweek with another winter storm warning in effect.

It was suggested a few weeks ago that I cover some breakfast ideas. Although, I usually concentrate on dinners, I decided to take the challenge and thought it was a great idea because it's true, everyone gets into a rut when it comes to the most important meal of the day, so let's try to make it fun.

I thought of naming today's Edition, breakfast for kids but many of these breakfasts are ones that I have myself.

  • I've recently started making fruit smoothies and decided breakfast would be a great time to have one.

They are quick and easy and very loved. I even had one for breakfast yesterday!

For the mixed frozen berries, I've used strawberries and mixed berry blend, (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries), the yogurt is usually strawberry or raspberry.

Wild Berry Smoothie

1 cup mixed frozen berries
1/2 cup berry yogurt
1 cup milk

Put berries in blender then add yogurt and zip until smooth. Serve immediately.

I've also made Blueberry Smoothies, with different amounts because the berries are so tiny.

Blueberry Smoothie

1/2 cup frozen blueberries
2/3 cup blueberry yogurt
3/4 cup milk

Put berries in blender then add yogurt and zip until smooth. Serve immediately.

  • The next breakfast idea is a great way to make toast and eggs fun!

I've used different shaped cookie cutters instead of a glass and called them by fun names...Reach for the Star Eggs, I Love you Eggs, etc.

Mexican Hats
I have been making these for picky kids, since I was a teenager.

This recipe goes by many different names. I call them Mexican Hats, because that is what they look like on the plate.

1 slice of bread
1 egg
1 tbsp. butter
salt and pepper

Butter both sides of the bread with butter. With a small mouthed glass, make a hole in the middle of the bread, this will also create the hat (circle of bread). Place a small amount of butter in the pan and heat. Carefully, put an egg in the center of the bread and toast both sides of the hat. When first side is cooked, lift from pan with egg flipper and add a small amount of butter. Flip the egg and bread over and cook the other side. When putting on the plate, top with the hat.

Tips to Ponder
Another variation is to scramble the eggs with a bit of milk, then put in the hole.

...or add a bit of grated cheese to the egg.

I also read in a cooking magazine that these could be made in the microwave so decided to try it. First you toast a slice of bread, buttering both sides afterwards then, cutting the whole, dropping the egg into the whole, poking the yolk with a fork and microwaving for a minute and a half on HIGH but watching it very carefully and stopping the microwave if the yolk rises too much. I thought what a great idea!! I made it once and it was very good...now our 11 year old makes them for his younger brother and anyone that wants one.

  • French Toast is another fun breakfast similar to Mexican Hats because it is egg and bread combined.

French Toast

4 slices bread
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
cinnamon to taste, (optional)
butter to spread
syrup to taste, (optional)

Mix egg, milk and cinnamon together in a flat dish and whisk. Dip bread in mixture on both sides and let excess drain back into bowl.

Heat oil in frying pan, turn to medium heat and add dipped bread. Cook each side about 1 minute each until brown. Spread with butter and add syrup. Enjoy!

Tips to Ponder
This is a great weekend breakfast, each egg makes 4 slices, be prepared to make more!

Usually we add cinnamon to the mixture and omit the syrup. Our youngest eats the pieces as finger foods, even though I give him a fork.

I could make add many other recipes to this page but decided to stop for now and carry on with breakfasts in another issue. I hope you enjoy these recipes.

--------
If you have any comments or suggestions, you can send me an email with Newsletter in the Subject Line.

Be sure to visit my website .

No comments: