Wednesday, April 9, 2008

March 9, 2008 Avgolemono Soup (Greek Egg-Lemon Soup)

Easy Tastebud Delights
03.09.08 Edition (March 9, 2008)
Easy Recipes
45 minutes+

Hi Everyone! I hope your Sunday is going well. Did you remember to set your clocks ahead?

On Friday, Hunter and I went to our favourite Greek restaurant for lunch. I felt like having souvlaki and salad but was also in a soup mood. When I asked what the soup of the day was, the waitress told me lemon soup...I had heard of it before but had never tried it and was feeling very adventurous. I'm so glad I did try it because it was delicious! I found this recipe yesterday and hope to make it myself sometime. Enjoy!

Avgolemono Soup (Greek Egg-Lemon Soup)

2 cups milk
2 tbsp. cornstarch
6 beaten egg yolks
2 quarts chicken stock
1/2 cup long grain rice
1/4 cup butter
chopped parsley
1/2 cup or more fresh lemon juice to taste
1 grated lemon rind
salt and pepper

1. Stir the milk and cornstarch together and beat in the egg yolks. Set aside.

2. Bring the stock to boil in a 4 quart soup pot and add the rice.

3. Cook, covered, until the rice is puffy and tender, about 25 min.

4
. Remove the soup from heat, add milk and egg mixture, stirring carefully. Continue to cook for a moment until all thickens.

5
. Remove from the heat and add the butter, chopped parsley, lemon juice, and finely grated lemon peel.
-------
If you have any comments or suggestions, you can send me an email with Newsletter in the Subject Line.

Be sure to visit my website .

No comments: