Thursday, October 11, 2007

October 8, 2007 Thanksgiving Turkey Soup

Easy Tastebud Delights
10.08 Edition (October 8, 2007)
Easy Recipes
45 minutes+

Hi Everyone and Happy Holiday Monday to the Canadian subscribers. For our American friends, Happy Columbus Day!
We had our Thanksgiving dinner last night and I must say it was wonderful! The turkey went into the citrus turkey brine on Saturday and soaked overnight, at the same time I simmered the giblets and made a stock from the liquid they were cooking in so we could had the beginnings of gravy.

I started chopping and preparing the vegetables around 10:30am and cooked them in shifts. We also picked up some turkey pieces which we browned and simmered for the juices along with the giblet stock. I called the stock "Liquid Gold".

Mookie's Marshmallow Sweet Potatoes were everything he said they were and after browning the marshmallows, I sprinkled a bit of cinnamon on top. YUMMY!

Today we will be eating leftovers and sandwiches then tomorrow, I will be making a turkey soup...just in time, I'm sure...I am feel ing a little "fever-ish".

One of my favourite parts after a turkey dinner is the soup made with the carcass, skin, leftover meat, gravy and freshly chopped potatoes or pasta, carrots, onion and celery. Here's my recipe. Enjoy!

Thanksgiving Turkey Soup

Remove large pieces of turkey from the carcass and dice. Set aside.
Put turkey carcass and meat scraps from 1 turkey into soup pot. Fill with water and gravy stock. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours to remove meat from bones. Strain out bones and fatty meat. Cut any turkey meat you like into bite-size pieces.

To this broth add:
1 stalk celery, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 onion, diced
1 cup or so turkey, diced

Add egg noodles, potatoes and carrots to seasoned broth. Heat through and serve.

Preboiled and drained barley may be added or substituted for noodles.
-------
If you have any comments or suggestions, you can send me an email with Newsletter in the Subject Line.

Be sure to visit my website .

No comments: