Tuesday, January 8, 2008

January 6, 2008 Split Pea and Ham Soup

Easy Tastebud Delights
01.06.08 Edition (January 6, 2008)
Easy Recipes
45 minutes+

Hi Everyone! Here we are on the last day of Christmas vacation. As a parent, I'm happy about this but if you ask my son I'm sure you'd get a different answer!!

Today's recipe is for Split Pea and Ham Soup...I have this brewing on the stove since last night. I've made revisions from the original recipe that I found in Company's Coming Soups & Sandwiches
I'm only at the stock stage and does it ever smell and taste good. Enjoy!

Split Pea and Ham Soup

3 bay leaves
1 ham bone and left over ham pieces
6 cups water
4 cups turkey stock
6 whole peppercorns

3 cups split green peas
3 shredded carrots
2 stalks celery, shredded
2 broccoli stems, shredded
1 medium onion, shredded
oregano and worchestershire sauce, to taste

1. Brown ham bone and pieces in the
pan, drained off the fat then deglaze with homemade turkey stock, (the original recipe just called for just water but we had the stock in the fridge), add the pieces back to the pan then cover with water bring it to an almost boil then turn the heat to minimum, add peppercorns, cover and let simmer all night.

2. Strain stock and measure, add water to bring to 12 cup mark.

3. Add vegetables and seasonings. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for at least an hour. Peas should be soft and starting to get mushy. (I shredded the veggies with my food processor, it took no time at all.)

Makes about 10 cups.

-------

If you have any comments or suggestions, you can send me an email with Newsletter in the Subject Line.

No comments: