Monday, January 28, 2008

January 23, 2008 Grandma Miller's Meat Pies-revised!

Easy Tastebud Delights
01.23.08 Edition (January 23, 2008)
Easy Recipes
45 minutes+

Hi Everyone! The week is half over again! Hope you're coping well with this cold weather we've been experiencing...just remember! It won't last forever, in July and August, we'll be DREAMING about a cool winter's day...SURE we will!

On May 22, 2007, I featured my Grandma's Meat Pies and finally got up the nerve to try making them a few nights ago. They turned out pretty good, I must say...for my first attempt at making pies. There are now some changes to the recipe that I didn't notice when I wasn't making it but just reading it. I also didn't use homemade pie crust or fresh/canned veggies but frozen. I couldn't find ground clove so bought pumpkin pie spice, it didn't have a bad effect on the pie at all. Because we had homemade beef stock in the fridge I used it instead of OXO cubes and boiling water, next time I will try 1 cup of stock instead of 1-1/2 cups, I had to drain it off into a bowl after the 20 minute cooking time and the lid was removed for part of the 20 minute cooking time. The pie is all gone now, so I guess it was pretty good! Hubby says he remebers having meat pie while growing up but it didn't have peas and carrots and it was topped with steak sauce or HP sauce...I remember having mine with ketchup! Enjoy!

Grandma Miller's Meat Pies
Aunt Elaine

2 large onions
1-1/2 tsp. thyme
parsley
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. garlic
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp. cloves
2 egg yolks
1-1/2 cups boiling water
2 beef OXO cubes
1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes
peas/carrots mixed
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork

Combine beef and pork, heat in skillet and mix until no longer pink, add onions, spices, water and OXO. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.

Add beaten egg, potatoes and vegetables to meat. Mix well and put into pie crust. Top with another crust and cook at 350 for 45 minutes.
-------
If you have any comments or suggestions, you can send me an email with Newsletter in the Subject Line.

Be sure to visit my website .

No comments: