Saturday, January 26, 2008

January 13, 2008 Broccoli Chicken Casserole

Easy Tastebud Delights
01.13.08 Edition (January 13, 2008)
Easy Recipes
45 minutes+

Hi Everyone! I hope you're all having a wonderful Sunday. Today's mission for me is to catch up on laundry and do a bit of housecleaning.

As promised, here is a review on last night's stuffed pasta shells...They were DELICIOUS!! I didn't follow the recipe to the letter but fairly close. I tried my best to get a close measurement but for seasonings, it is just so much easier to sprinkIe, blend then taste and adjust, if necessary. Some of the changes made: I used frozen spinach and fresh onions, red pepper and green pepper, (I couldn't find the frozen bags at the grocery store that I went to.). I didn't use shredded mozzarella cheese but instead substituted pre-grated cheese for the first time ever because it was on sale. I used the nacho/taco blend with jalapeno peppers. It was a nice choice. I found that I didn't need to use as much as I would if I had gone for the mozza.


I used a garlic flavoured pasta sauce and next time will get plain tomato sauce and add my own seasonings. Hubby said there was a slight tang to the shells and we haven't pinpointed where it came from.

Anyways, the shells were very tasty and I made a comment while cooking them that they would be a great meal for St. Patrick's Day because when the spinach/vegetable puree is poured into the burger everything turned green.

I cooled the mixture in the freezer before adding the egg and cheeses for about 10 minutes while I tended to the shells, (rinsing, draining, drying) and getting the pan and sauce ready to go. Once the mixture came out and the egg and cheeses were added all I had to do was fill the shells and place them in the pan. (Oven was already preheated). Although the recipe says to cook for 20 minutes it took about 30 minutes because the cheese wasn't melted. We will be having the leftovers for dinner again tonight because they are very filling and we have about 1/2 pan left.


Today's recipe sounds like a good way to use leftover chicken and get your veggies at the same time. I'm hoping to try it next time we have some leftover chicken, (rarity around here!). By looking at the recipe, the nacho/taco blend cheese looks like it would be really good in this recipe. Enjoy!

Broccoli Chicken Casserole

leftover chicken
1 cup cooked rice
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
bag of frozen broccoli
oregano or favourite seasoning, to taste
buttered breadcrumbs

Mix all ingredients except the bread crumbs in the baking pan. Season, taste and adjust seasonings then top with buttered bread crumbs.

Bake at 350 about 30 minutes, until heated through and bubbly.
-------

If you have any comments or suggestions, you can send me an email with Newsletter in the Subject Line.

Be sure to visit my website .

No comments: