Sunday, November 18, 2007

November 14, 2007 Meatloaf 101

Easy Tastebud Delights
11.14 Edition (November 14, 2007)
Easy Recipes
45 minutes+

Hi Everyone! The week is half over. Welcome to Wednesday!

Yesterday I posted information from Betty Crocker's Hamburger Cookbook about Meatballs. Today I decided that I would share information from the same book about Meatloaf. If you have a different recipe that you make, by all means, use it.

Feel free to share your opinions on these "Mini-Lessons".
My notes will be in blue. I look forward to hearing from you. Enjoy!

Basic Meatloaf

1-1/2 lbs. ground beef
3 slices bread, torn into small pieces*
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1 tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. sage
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup ketchup, chili sauce or barbecue sauce (optional)**

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients except ketchup. Spread mixture in ungreased loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches, or shape into loaf in ungreased baking pan. Spoon ketchup onto loaf. Bake uncovered 1 to 1-1/4 hours. Drain off fat.

6 Servings

*You can substitute 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, 1/2 cup wheat germ or 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats for the bread pieces. (I use dry stuffing mix, as is or finely crushed).

**I usually use barbecue sauce.

Freezer Meat Loaf

Prepare Basic Meat Loaf except--Do NOT bake. Cover pan with aluminum foil and label; freeze no longer than 2 months.

To Serve:

Bake frozen meat loaf uncovered in 350 degree oven 2 to 2-1/4 hours. Drain off fat.

------

If you have any comments or suggestions, you can send me an email with Newsletter in the Subject Line.

Be sure to visit my website .

No comments: